Sunday, September 13, 2009

Hey Hey

And so it ends, and thus begins anew.

A few weeks ago, we harvested the remaining okra pods and jalapenos from the back garden and put to work tearing it down to rest before we start up with the winter veg.

To begin, I cut off the top seed pods from the okra I left on too long. I was concerned that if they were allowed to fall and get cultivated under, I'd have okra everywhere like I have those blasted melons now. I got rid of the rest of those as well. That was fun.

After that it was a simple matter of whacking away at all the remaining cornstalks and okra towers and endless weeds that won the war over the summer. (note to self: Be Ruthless When It Comes to Weeds in the Future.)
You can easily see how hard I went to work at it below.


Oh wait. That's John. I'm behind the camera.

That's John too.


John again. So the truth comes out. John did the work. I took the pictures.


And hauled the debris away, along with the veggies.


And then the man with the tractor came and dug it all under. No, we still have not made the executive decision on what tractor brand and model to buy so in the meantime, we rent the technology and that is working out fine.


John made these raised beds closer to the house last week with Steve's help and the tractor dumped beautiful dirt inside. Now all I have to do is get out there in this endless rain we've been having and plant!
I have, all lined up and ready for planting: collards, snap peas, broccoli, brussels, spinach, carrots, beets and swiss chard. Half and half seeds and seedlings so I'm not behind in any way.
The potatoes will go in part of the back plot and we'll plant a clover cover crop on the rest

Close your eyes... Do you see the lambs gamboling behind the beds and the chickens off to the right? Yeah... me too.

No comments: