Sunday, January 25, 2009

So. Goji

And now I know about goji berries. Not as sweet as raisins or crasins but chewy. I bought a trail mix type snack at Whole Foods. No sugar.
It's getting harder than ever to find food without some form of sugar or salt. I do my best to avoid both, for me and my husband's health.

I'm intrigued by the Atkins diet or "low-carb". I was told yesterday at our class that the weight falls off, IF you can stick to not eating carbs. Also that the weight comes back quickly if you're not careful. Metabolism changes, energy levels are high. Sounds good!

But here's the thing.... my pancreas works just fine and I could go all the way with this but J is insulin-dependent and this makes it much more complicated.

The insulin counterbalances blood sugar. Sugar comes from carbohydrates. You need SOME carbs for sure but if you want to lose weight (ahem!) you need to cut way back on carbs or calories or both. And I'm not sure how to do that while maintain proper bloodsugar levels.

If anyone out there has a handle on this, I'm all ears. J wants to drop @20lbs and I'll do it with him.

No comments: