Sunday, June 6, 2010

Creature of Discomfort

We had a terrific storm blow through here yesterday, the second in as many days and I was curious to see what damage it did to the gardens. So, dressed in my jimjams (velour long pants and a tunic top) and with a cup of coffee in my hand, I sashayed out for a quick recon. That was my first mistake.

Picture, if you will, Louisiana. In June. 82 degrees, overcast skies and 94% humidity. Me: long hair loosely tied yet cascading down my back. Dressed for a winter night in Boulder, CO. Hot cup of coffee to add the final insult and before me: nothing but panic, chaos and disorder.

2 hours later: I may have finally lost a pound or two of weight. I've propped up all the tomato cages that keeled over and picked perhaps 45lbs of veggies. I have stretched before me a sea of slightly ripened tomatoes and our first eggplant, all glossy and black. I am wet, sticky, dirty, peevish and tired.

It's not even 8:00 am.

No comments: