Monday, June 21, 2010

Jack and the Beanstalk?

I love children's stories, the illustrations, and Disney's adaptations of many. Warner Bros. cartoons vie for my attention as well, especially when Chuck Jones lead the animation team. Brilliant and hilarious.

One of my favorites has always been the story of Jack and the Beanstalk. HOWEVER. now that I have grown a few beans, I must say there is NO POSSIBLE WAY any bean grows into a stalk. And certainly none that could support the weight of an enterprising lad heavily-ladened with golden egg-laying geese, chests of gold coinage and singing harps!. I mean, c'mon! Can we get real here? Please?

Obviously what Jack climbed up was a giant sunflower!
Ever since I read the Sisterhood of the Ya-Yas, I have had the urge to grow sunflowers. I wanted to see the head turn toward the sun. So after the winter crop was harvested, I threw in sunflower seeds and whaddaya know?

Even without the sunflower face, the crown follows the sun as it moves across the sky!!!!! Above you see some greeting the sunrise.

I'll shoot more photos as the flowers emerge.

But back to Jack: this particular variety has an immense stalk supporting humongous leaves and I cannot wait to see the flowers. Clearly, THIS is what Jack used to pilfer the giant of his stash of goodies.

Give the sunflower it's due.

No comments: