Monday, December 14, 2009

AWOL

So, it happens that we have a wandering herd of chickens.

I gave up full stop yesterday after the fourth time of climbing neighbor's fences and chasing them back into the run. They just, and I have to chuckle as I write this, watch me and act all nonchalant while they peck around in the run, leading me to a false sense of security. Within minutes of my return to the house, over they go! and wander they will.

It's actually funny! They KNOW what they're doing. We had to leave them at one point and by the time I got back to the coop, it was dark. As we backed out of the driveway, I could see Ginger, still in the run with the little guys and Zee Big WO and at least one of the B/Ws over between the garden and the fence separating us from the back two. I don't know how far or if even they went into our restrictive coventant's subdivision but I'll bet I'll be hearing about it if indeed they did.

Again, when I went out to close the coop after dark, I was apprehensive that they would all be home but sure enough. God gave me enough rain to keep them in their new home long enough to acclimated to it and they know where to go when the sun sets. A small comfort to me, but I'll take it.

No comments: