Sunday, July 18, 2010

For One Brief Moment

I thought I was back in Alaska.

We planned to pick blueberries this morning, early, with friends. But we wakened to a thunderstorm and waited it out. By 7:30 it was a steady drizzle with fantastic cloud formations above our heads and we decided it was now or never.

This is the end of the berry season and if you're gonna get 'em and haven't, now would be the time.

We pulled up to the place and stepped out of the truck and I swear, I didn't believe we were in Louisiana. At least, not in Mid-July. It was cool with a light drizzle. So light it didn't even really wet us. The bushes are huge where we picked this year and the berries, while not as plentiful as they were a month ago, very sweet and fat.

We picked a gallon and made for home. The whole experience was so reminiscent of up north, I had myself convinced when I open the car door again, it would be 59 degrees.

And then I snapped back to reality. While it is still down-right chilly for the south, it ain't Alaska. But then again, we didn't worry about bears this morning, so that's a plus.

No comments: