Monday, July 12, 2010

Well Well Well

It turns out that sunflowers are sneaky self-promotional liars!

I walked out the other evening to scope out the garden and my eyes fell upon the solitary sunflower in full and glorious bloom. Still facing East.

Clearly this one didn't get the memo. "Hey, you! Over there! WEST is THAT way!"

It didn't budge. Obstinate! I thought......

So I wondered, what's up with this? I thought sunflowers follow the sun every day.... I know! Let's go google it!.

So it turns out that yes, they DO indeed follow the sun. But that stops when the petals emerge. From then on, they face East!

Facing south or west could result in sun-scalding of seeds during very hot days.

And now we know......
PS it has a friend out there now to talk to...... I bet they tell each other stories!

No comments: